I love nothing more than lazy Saturday mornings.
Sleeping in, then opening the curtains to stay in bed staring up at the sky (my headrest is my window. Bliss). Rolling around your snuggly warm bed, throwing ideas around about how to spend your two precious days of freedom.
But we all know a perfect weekend starts off with a good breakfast. A hearty meal to wave goodbye to the weariness of the working week and wake you up to throw yourselves into a weekend of adventure.
Or, a friendly hello to a weekend of laying back and sweet nothingness.
The first word on my lips at the weekend is pancakes. I want sweet, thick pancakes oozing with a sugary sauce.
These pancakes deliver exactly that, with not a single egg or drop of milk in sight.
(And I’ll let you into a secret, they’re far nicer than their non-vegan contenders. How about that)
Made with bananas instead of eggs, and almond/soy milk instead of dairy, they’re juicy, sweet right to the middle and almost entirely guilt free (two of your five a day after all!)
Oh, and did I mention they’re gluten free? So you have zero excuses not to dust off your mixing bowl for the morn.
(and, bookmark the recipe for pancake day!)
1 ripe banana
⅔ cup original Almond Breeze Almond Milk (or if you’re not vegan, normal milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup regular all-purpose flour (or gluten-free equivalent)
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon salt
½ cup blueberries
Golden syrup, for serving
- In a blender, whizz up the banana, milk, vanilla, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Add half the blueberries and stir into the mixture
- Heat up some oil in a frying pan
- Pour out the mixture into smallish circles into the pan (or use a ¼ cup measurement if you’re feeling fancy). Flip when bubbles form in the top of the batter (about 1 minute). Let the second side cook for 30-60 seconds then remove from heat. (Check the first one to ensure it’s cooked through to the middle, if not you may need to reduce the heat and let it cook for a touch longer)
- For the blueberry topping, mix together the remaining blueberries with a little bit of golden syrup in a bowl and microwave for 20-30 seconds.
- Pile the pancakes high with a hefty dollop of blueberries (and an extra squeeze of golden syrup for good measure)
Make a big pot of tea or coffee, grab the newspaper and return to bed.