I didn’t realise I would already feel so many feels about this vegan fandango..
Here’s just a small roundup of my thoughts over the past few days…
- “I’m definitely going to lose tons of weight all I’ll eat is salad”
- “Why does everyone want to convert me back?!”
- “I wonder what my skin will turn out like after this…”
- “OMG BBQ Doritos are a thing and are vegan? Must buy a huge sharing pack for me and all my vegan friends (k just Jake then)”
- “Ok so there’s actually quite a few unhealthy vegan things. Like the Doritos I just demolished. Whoops.”
- “Good vegan food is so expensive.”
- “Vegan recipes are sooo difficult to find”
- “Why can I not find nutritional yeast ANYWHERE”
- “Am I glowing? Can everyone see the health and morals radiating out of me?!”
- “Crap… chocolate isn’t vegan. Nobody saw did they?!”
- “Seriously, why is everyone asking me if I want meat/dairy?”
- “How many times… meat isn’t the only food containing protein I am not malnourished!!!”
- “Oh god, do I really have to go for a black coffee from Waitrose?! Oh god oh god this is going to be vile oh god… wait. It’s actually quite good. I am a sophisticated Italian chica now”
- “How many cheat days am I allowed before it becomes plain cheating?”
- “No.. vegans don’t eat chicken. Yes, vegans can eat pasta. No, I’m not starving. Yes, there are alternatives to milk. No, I don’t want a cheese toastie, thanks.”
- “This is harder than I expected.”
- “Thank GOD peanut butter is vegan omgomgomgomg pass me all the spoons”
- “So a steak isn’t vegan? Even if I have it with loads of salad? Oh pleeeaaasseee”
So, yeah. It seems I can’t face being told I can’t do something. Even though I put myself up to this, I’m struggling more than I thought I would. I’m not one for holding myself back.. I have a very self indulgent personality and usually if I want something I’ll have it (within reason, obvs). So it’s a bit of a shock to the system to then not be allowed to have what I want.
Also, I’m super shocked by how little people know or understand about veganism, and how much people see it as a challenge and something which is their divine right to change. People are really uncomfortable with accepting it when I say I’m vegan, wrinkle up their noses and ask why. Then proceed to shove chicken in my face to try to tempt me… It’s a world I’d never experienced before and really think should change.
I’m not yet feeling super spritely or energetic or cleansed, but I guess it’s not been long enough to tell? I’ll preserver and let you know how I get on!