Now, I’ll start by saying this isn’t my recipe, but that of the wonderful Lily Pebbles, blogger and YouTube extraordinaire.
However, upon rustling up a batch of these melty in the middle crispy edged babies, I figured it’d be pretty selfish to keep the recipe to myself!
They’re called brookies… brownies on the inside but cookies on the outside. Can you think of anything better?!
Not only that, but they’re made from ingredients you’ll probably already have in your cupboard, don’t take long and if you’re vegan or otherwise dairy intolerant, these are totally dairy free!
This recipe supposedly makes 72.. I halved it and had a pretty good size batch so size it up as you wish.
(The photo below doesn’t show the full batch though so don’t use that for comparison!)
85g of good quality cocoa powder
400g of caster sugar
125ml of vegetable oil
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
250g of plain flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 a teaspoon of salt
60g of icing sugar
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, caster sugar and vegetable oil.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time and stir in the vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl then mix into the cocoa mixture.
- If you have time, cover the bowl and chill in the fridge for 4 hours
- Line 2 trays with baking paper and preheat the oven at 200°C/Gas Mark 4
- Pour icing sugar into a wide bowl/onto a plate. Using a spoon, scoop up some mixture and roll into 1.5cm ish size balls.
- Roll these balls around in the icing sugar till covered and then place them on the baking parchment
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, let them stand on a baking tray for a minute then transfer to a wire racks to cool.
- Gobble them up with a glass of milk and then pass the recipe on!